Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Most Frequently Asked Question: “So what did you actually DO??”


There were plenty of linguists on my Discovery team, and they did all kinds of wonderful things: gathering information about the many languages of Mozambique, editing dictionaries and writing scholarly-sounding papers. (Portuguese is the official language of the country, but it isn’t the heart-language of most Mozambiquans). There was also Brad, who was always fixing the iffy internet, Jess, who designed the logo for lidemo.net, and Megan, who could do just about anything.

I, not being a linguist, or a Brad, filled in. Throughout the trip, I was able to help propel a Nyungwe primer towards being published, edit databases of information about dozens of publications, attend a dedication ceremony for the newly-translated book of Mark into Nyungwe, and edit the publications for the website, lidemo.net (check it out). I did other various and sundry jobs as well– some of the most enjoyable of which were teaching Bible club for a day at a school in Tete, and planning all of the meals for our debrief beach-trip to Chocas.

Even though sometimes I felt like I didn't have a specific niche, I was glad to be able to help out where I could. The above picture is the office where we spent our work hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment